Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Crab Louie

I made an genuine effort to ketch a Dungeness crab this last week (I released a lot of legal red rock crabs).  I was able to get one legal Dungeness and a larger sized red rock crab (I didn't want to bother with cooking just one crab).

T cleaned the crab and I cooked them in the pressure cooker (in the galley) for 5 minutes on the low setting.  Once the crab was done cooking, I carefully carried the pressure cooker to the stern of the boat and released the pressure (steam) outside the cabin.  I was pleased with the complete absence of crab smell inside the boat! 

T asked for Crab Louie... here is my simplified version:


Crab Louie:
  • Iceberg Lettuce
  • Avocado
  • Hard Boiled Egg
  • Cooked Crab (meat picked)
  • Tomato
  • 1000 Island Dressing
When I shelled the crab, I separated the Dungeness and Red Rock meat so that T and I could see if we had a preference.  Both of us agreed that we liked the taste of the Red Rock slightly better... however, it was still full of shell (despite my best effort).  The Dungeness was much easier to pick and the shell of the crab was easier to crack.  For practical purposes, I prefer the Dungeness.   

Totally worth the effort this time.  Yum. 

No comments:

Post a Comment