- It is not very heavy - weighing in at 22 lbs
- You can fold it without un-installing the doubles kit (back seat)
- It has three inflatable tires so it is easy to push on the dock (which is bumpy in places)
- You can set it up so that the newborn can lay flat (look at the phil & teds website for a picture)
- The back seat can be removed when one kid outgrows the stroller.
- It packs away almost as compactly as my single stroller (I had the Bumbleride Indie (website) which is also an awesome option for only children)
Saturday, August 27, 2011
If there is one thing that am really neurotic about - it is researching baby products/gear. I knew that, with a 15 month age difference between our children, we would need a sturdy double stroller. I researched everything on the market - tandem strollers, double wide strollers, sit and stand strollers, three and four wheel strollers, etc.
I ended up buying (used) the Phil & Teds Vibe stroller with doubles kit. This stroller (made in New Zealand) retails for $930 - I got it gently used for $450 (including shipping) on eBay. I have seen this model of stroller go for as little as $350 on eBay.
This stroller is perfect for our family for the following reasons:
I still need to purchase a few accessories to complete our travel system. I am going to get the rain coat ($50) and am interested in the optional saddle bags (to store groceries in) - these clip on to both sides of the stroller (also $50... all the accessories for this stroller are $50-$100!! - ouch!).
It is worth noting that, as liveaboards, you will be logging many miles on whatever stroller you choose (I walk about 1/3 of a mile just to get to the car). I would not recommend cutting corners to save money on this type of purchase.